Saturday, June 28, 2008

Swimming With Dolphins

So one week ago I went to Santa Monica Beach with my friend Jon Shelton for some much needed beach time. We laid out in the sun -me with 60+ SPF sunblock on, and even still my right thigh got a little sunburned although thanks to my suit there was a little white star left on my hip-and when it got too hot, we went for a swim in the water. It was not as cold as suspected, thanks in part to the heat wave the state had that week. After a final session of sand relaxing (wow, that stuff gets everywhere and sticks!) we decided that we should leave so we could head up to a YSA conference in Valencia. I stood up and looked at the ocean and saw several dolphins jumping not too far from shore. When I pointed this out to Jon, we both took off running down the beach, jumped in the water, and started swimming out past the waves and other beach goers. Jon being a former lifeguard and stronger swimmer, soon overtook me, and was probably not more than 8 feet away from two of the dolphins. When I looked around I found that I was not more than 10 feet away from another group. It was an amazing experience being that close to them. I wish I could have touched one, but they are wild animals, so it's probably better off. When we finally swam back in, people were asking Jon if they were dolphins and what it was like. Time had definitely gotten away from us and with shower and drive time, we missed the speaker for the conference, but got to go bowling which was fun. My first game I bowled a 60, but with some good coaching from the other guys playing in our lane, I improved and actually broke 100 my second game. As active as I am and as much as I enjoy sports, I think I need to stick with dance.

2 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

That seriously is SO COOL that you were able to swim with dolphins. That has been my dream since I was in like 6th grade (after my obsession with penguins). And I am a TERRIBLE bowler as well- I can now bowl over 100 but my first try I only scored 6 the whole game. PATHETIC. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that bowling isn't in our genetic makeup :-)

Sylvia Tencer said...

Hi Cynthia,
What an exciting adventure you had with Jon. I also have had the opportunity to swim with dolphins in many locations and it is a magical experience. But it has never being so spontaneous as yours. What a sensation you must have felt. Once you swim with the dolphins you come out feeling totally renewed. When they look at your eyes, you know they are seeing your soul.It is awesome. Would you be able to let me know in what location you were as I might be going there soon and want to know where is the best place to see them and swim with them. Thanks much. Sylvia